Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chagrin on Himig Lycean 2009

Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Before you continue reading this blog. Let me remind you. I'm happy winning as the 2nd place of Himig Lycean 2009. No more issues about not winning it. I am thankful. I'm happy that I had a chance to share my passion to all the Lyceans, and that is performing. What I will be talking about on this blog was the side of people who are concern in this contest.

First, last February 21, 2009 was the elimination round of Himig Lycean. The ten finalists were announced. One girl against the nine boys. I have been preparing my singing battle with the boys already until last Wednesday, the Lyceum Chorale (organizer of the contest) called for a rehearsal for our production number on the upcoming finals. When I entered the rehearsal room, I was expecting to see an all-boy group practicing. But I was surprised because their are 2 girls practicing for the Dreamgirls number already. I asked who are they and Kuya Art (President of L. Chorale) told me that they are the wildcards. Oh Okay. I didn't ask for details anymore. I practiced the number with the wildcards. And I was also surprised that the picture of the wildcards were in the Tarpaulin already! My gosh! they had just informed me just that very day and then I would see that they know already that they were competing in the finals even before me knowing it!!! So now we are 12 finalists already. Even the guy finalists were telling that there should be no wildcards. WHAT'S THE SENSE OF HAVING ELIMINATION ROUND?

When I got home, I texted the other eliminated contestants if they know about the wildcard thing. And they told me NO! THEY DON"T KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE WILDCARDS. Isn't it unfair for them? A lot of them complained because they didn't know how did the 2 came up as the wildcards. There should have been a WILDCARD ROUND to make it formal!

The day after, I told my barkada about it and they were also disappointed. They were asking how did the 2 made it. Is it because of the popularity tickets? or their average? how about the other eliminated contestants?

FYI, the contest is the fund raising project of Lyceum Chorale for their upcoming international tour.

During the finals, I didn't sell popularity tickets anymore thinking that I can win by focusing on my musicality. It's a singing contest anyway not a MONEY contest. Crisel(the winner) asking me about my tickets and she told me that she remit a lot of tickets on the final day. I told her, I'm not going to remit anymore.

Then announcement of winners came, I told Makato Inoue, one of the guy finalists, that he's my bet. He has a very wonderful voice. He peformed well and delivered his song smoothly. There's no way he would not get any place. Even my classmates were expecting him to win. He told me that I'm his bet too.

When I was called as the second placer, the audience became quiet. Only my classmates were shouting for me. I flashed a smile to Mak. I'm expecting him to be called as the champion, I even told him, "MAK YOU WILL BE THE WINNER!" but a different name was called. I was shocked. A wildcard won. As Crisel accepting her trophy, the other finalists were shouting "wildcardwildcard".Some were shouting "andaya! bakit puro wildcard?!".

The third placer is Ate jen, a wildcard at an average of 90%. The second placer is yours truly, Anna Jean at an average of 90.7%. And the winner is Crisel, a wildcard at an average of 91%.

This story can be justified by the people who had watched all the contestants' performances. They know who deserve winning and who's not. I'm expecting some of the boys having a place. They were all good. I don't know what happened. My mom recorded the whole program. I've watched and listened to it. I can see the disappointment on the boys' eyes after the announcement.

I had been keeping all this thoughts by myself but I couldn't. I had talked to other eliminated contestants last Saturday and they wanted to complain. They could have been at the finals too and win. But I can't do anything now.=( Everything happened already. Maybe, everybody will be happy if the winner is not a wildcard. Or if a wildcard is formally competed by all eliminated contestants and not just picked by whoever chosen them to be finalists.

I had accepted my place the moment I was called. It's a blessing and I'm very happy!!!=) I didn't asked God to let me win but I asked Him just to give me what I deserve. And I believe that I deserve what I've got.=)

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!!!

No comments: